What is a Car Tax Refund?

Compare cheap car insurance

Compare cheap car insurance quotes
✔ Over 110 insurance providers
✔ Get a quote in minutes
✔ Save up to £504*

Start a quote

If you’re planning on selling your car or taking it off the road, you might be wondering about the car tax you’ve already paid. The process to get a refund is straightforward.

You just need to inform the DVLA that you wish to cancel your car tax. Once you do this, the DVLA will process and send a refund cheque for any remaining full months of tax you haven’t used. This is the essential information you need about getting a DVLA car tax refund.

Understanding Car Tax Refunds

Car tax refunds, also known as road tax refunds, are essentially reimbursements for the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) you’ve paid in advance. Let’s delve into more details about what it is, how it works, and precautions you need to take.

Understanding Car Tax Refunds

What Constitutes a Car Tax Refund?

A car tax refund comes into play when you’ve paid your VED but then your circumstances change. For example, if you’ve paid your car tax for an entire year but ended up selling your car or declaring it off the road through a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) after a few months, you’re eligible for a refund. The refund will cover the remaining full months of tax you haven’t used.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Do I Qualify for a DVLA Tax Refund?

When it comes to getting a DVLA tax refund, it’s not a case of simply asking and receiving. Specific criteria determine your eligibility. Here’s an expanded look at the conditions under which you can claim a refund.

Do I Qualify For A Dvla Tax Refund

Valid Reasons for Cancelling Vehicle Tax

To qualify for a refund, you must provide the DVLA with a legitimate reason for cancelling your vehicle tax. The acceptable reasons are quite specific:

  • Selling or Transferring Ownership: If you’re selling your car or transferring it to a new owner, you’re eligible for a refund on the unused portion of the tax.
  • Insurance Write-Off: In cases where your car is declared a total loss by your insurance provider, you can claim a refund.
  • Exporting the Vehicle: If your car is permanently taken out of the UK, you’re entitled to a refund.
  • Scrapping the Vehicle: If your car is being scrapped, you can reclaim the unused tax.
  • Theft: In the unfortunate event that your car is stolen, you’re eligible for a refund.
  • Exemption Status: Cars that become registered as exempt from vehicle road tax are also eligible.
  • SORN Registration: If your car is taken off the road and you’ve registered it as Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), you can claim a refund.

Conditions to Note

It’s important to understand that these are the only scenarios under which you can cancel your road tax and request a refund for any remaining full months. Partial months are not eligible for a refund.

Additionally, the refund process is initiated automatically once the DVLA is informed of the qualifying change in your vehicle’s status.

Remember: Always keep your vehicle’s documentation up-to-date and notify the DVLA promptly of any changes to ensure you can claim your tax refund where applicable. This will streamline the process and ensure you receive any refunds you’re entitled to without unnecessary delays.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

How Do I Get a Car Tax Refund?

Getting a refund on your Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), commonly known as car tax, involves a few steps that vary based on your specific situation. Let’s explore the process in detail.

How Do I Get A Car Tax Refund

Selling or Transferring Your Car

If you’re selling or transferring ownership of your car, the refund process is quite straightforward. Inform the DVLA as soon as the car is sold or transferred to avoid any potential fines.

This notification can usually be done online, and it’s crucial to do it promptly. Once the DVLA is informed, if you have a direct debit set up for the car tax, it will be cancelled automatically. Your refund cheque for any remaining full months of tax will be sent to you by post.

Taking Your Car Off the Road

When your car is taken off the road and stored on private property, you need to apply for a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). Once your SORN is registered with the DVLA, they will issue a refund cheque for any full months of car tax that you’ve already paid.

Scrapping Your Car

If you’re scrapping your car, the process involves using an approved scrapping facility and completing some necessary paperwork.

After you inform the DVLA that your car has been scrapped, they will automatically process your car tax refund. Follow the official guidelines on the gov.uk website for the correct steps to scrap your vehicle.

Related:  What is Insurance Premium Tax (IPT)?

Exporting Your Car

For exporting your car, the procedure depends on the duration of the export. If your car will be abroad for less than 12 months, it needs to remain taxed as if it’s in the UK.

For permanent exports (over 12 months), you’ll be eligible for a tax refund. In this case, you can’t notify the DVLA online; you’ll need to send in a part of your logbook and follow the specific steps outlined by the DVLA for taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Modifications to Your Car

If you’ve made modifications to your car that change its tax band, it could affect the amount of tax you pay. Whether the tax increases or decreases, it’s mandatory to inform the DVLA about these changes.

If these modifications result in a lower tax band, you may be eligible for a refund. There’s an additional form to fill out in such cases, and you can find the necessary steps on the gov.uk website under changing your car’s tax band.

Key Point: In each scenario, it’s crucial to inform the DVLA as soon as possible to ensure a smooth and timely refund process. Always use official channels and follow the specific guidelines provided by the DVLA and gov.uk for your particular situation.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

How Much Road Tax Refund Will I Get?

Understanding how much refund you can expect on your road tax and how to tax a new car are essential parts of vehicle ownership. Here’s a detailed explanation of both processes.

How Much Road Tax Refund Will I Get

Amount of Road Tax Refund

The amount of refund you’ll receive is calculated based on the remaining full months of road tax after the DVLA receives your notification.

It’s important to note that refunds are only issued for any unused full months of tax. However, certain deductions will be made from your total refund:

  • Credit Card Fees: Any fees incurred through credit card payments will be deducted.
  • Direct Debit Surcharges: A 5% surcharge applies to some direct debit payments, which will be subtracted.
  • Six-Month Payment Surcharge: If you’ve opted for a single six-month tax payment, there’s a 10% surcharge that will also be deducted from your refund.

Taxing a New Car

When acquiring a new car (whether new, used, or transferred), you’ll need to buy car tax. The tax from your old car can’t be transferred, nor can you utilise any tax paid by the previous owner.

Steps to Tax Your New Car

  1. Before Driving: Ensure your new car is taxed before you start driving it.
  2. Online Application: The easiest way to tax your new car is online, especially if you have the right reference number. Keep the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) from your car purchase handy.
  3. Phone Application: You can also tax your car by calling 0300 123 4321.
  4. In-Person Application: Alternatively, you can visit a Post Office to tax your new car in person.

Importance of Compliance

It’s crucial to handle this paperwork promptly to ensure you’re paying the correct tax and that your car is fully insured before driving. While it may seem like additional paperwork, complying with these requirements is essential for legal and safe vehicle use.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Can I Get a Refund on Car Insurance?

When you’re changing vehicles or getting rid of your car, understanding how to manage your car insurance and potentially get a refund is crucial. Here’s a more comprehensive look at this process.

Can I Get A Refund On Car Insurance

Cancelling Your Car Insurance

If you’re planning to sell or dispose of your car, it’s possible to cancel your car insurance policy and potentially receive a refund. However, there are some important points to consider:

  • Partial Refunds: You’re unlikely to receive the full amount of the premium back. Refunds are typically pro-rated, based on the remaining term of your policy.
  • Cancellation Fees: Most insurance companies charge cancellation fees, which will be deducted from any refund you’re eligible for.
  • Procedure: To proceed with cancellation, contact your insurance provider directly or visit their website for specific instructions and conditions.

Updating Your Insurance for a New Car

If you’re selling your old car and acquiring a new one, you have the option to update your existing policy to cover the new vehicle. This approach can help you avoid cancellation fees, although you may still incur an administration charge for making changes to your policy.

Considerations for Policy Updates

  • Cost Implications: While updating your policy can be more straightforward, it might not always be the most cost-effective option. Insurance premiums can vary depending on the type and model of the car.
  • Shop Around: Before deciding, it’s wise to compare insurance offers for your new car. This can be done quickly and easily online, and might result in finding a more suitable or cheaper policy.
Related:  How to Deal with a Chipped Windscreen

The Importance of Comparing Car Insurance Quotes

Whether you’re cancelling your policy or updating it for a new car, taking the time to compare car insurance quotes is beneficial.

This process can potentially save you money and ensure that you have the most appropriate cover for your needs. Always consider the balance between cost, cover, and the reputation of the insurer when making your decision.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Frequently asked questions

If you’re paying your car tax via direct debit and need to cancel it, the process is straightforward. Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Contact the DVLA: Reach out to the DVLA directly to inform them that you wish to cancel your car tax. You’ll need to explain your reason for cancellation, such as selling your car or registering it as off-road (SORN).

  2. Automatic Cancellation: Once you’ve informed the DVLA, they will automatically cancel your direct debit. This means you won’t have to manually stop the payments through your bank.

  3. Refund Process: After cancelling your direct debit, the DVLA will issue a cheque refund for any full months remaining on your road tax. This cheque will be sent to the address they have on file for you.

  4. Timing of Cancellation: It’s important to note that if you cancel your direct debit close to the time when a monthly payment is due, the DVLA might still process the payment. However, if this happens, you don’t need to worry. The DVLA will automatically refund the amount back into your bank account, typically within 10 working days.

Remember, this process only applies to those who have set up a direct debit for their car tax. For any other payment methods, the refund process may differ slightly.

It typically takes six to eight weeks to receive your car tax refund. In some cases, you could receive it even earlier.

If, after eight weeks, you have not received your refund, it’s advisable to get in touch with the DVLA to follow up on the matter.

If you find an error on your refund cheque, you should return it to the DVLA along with an explanation of the mistake. Mail it to the following address:

Refund Section DVLA Swansea SA99 1AL

A replacement cheque should be issued to you within four weeks.

A common reason for the DVLA rejecting a car tax refund application is incorrect details. It’s crucial that the information you provide on the application aligns precisely with the details in your log book.

If there’s been a change in your name or address, you must inform the DVLA. This includes updating your V5C log book, driving licence, and VED direct debit details, especially if the direct debit is your method of paying road tax. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to £1,000.

For residents of Northern Ireland, address changes must be made through nidirect.gov.uk.

To find out if a vehicle is taxed or registered as SORN, visit Gov.uk. You will need the vehicle’s registration number and its 11-digit reference number. This reference number can be found in your V5C log book.

To start using your car on the road after it has been declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification), you just need to apply for road tax. This can be done through the DVLA website or by calling 0300 123 4321. Once you apply for road tax, the DVLA will automatically cancel the SORN.

Keep in mind, you must also have car insurance and a valid MOT certificate to legally drive the car again.

For further information, refer to our guide on SORN.

Car insurance blog

Is My No-Claims Bonus Still Valid After a Break Between Policies?

Related:  What cars are cheap to insure?

Compare Cheap Impounded Car Insurance Quotes

Related:  Compare Cheap 4x4 Car Insurance Quotes

Driving Licence Codes and Categories

Related:  Compare Cheap 4x4 Car Insurance Quotes

Car Insurance Credit Checks

Related:  Driving in Wet Conditions

Car Insurance Claim Rejected?

Related:  What is an Uninsured Driver Promise?

Dash Cams: Do they Reduce Car Insurance Premiums?

Related:  One day car insurance

What is a Car Insurance Cover Note?

Related:  How to Deal with a Chipped Windscreen

Compare Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Convicted Drivers

Related:  What cars are cheap to insure?

Classic Car MOT

Related:  Driving in Wet Conditions