Lost Your V5C Log Book? Here is what to do

Compare cheap car insurance

Compare cheap car insurance quotes
✔ Over 110 insurance providers
✔ Get a quote in minutes
✔ Save up to £504*

Start a quote

Lost Your V5C Log Book? Here’s What You Should Do.

If you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of misplacing your V5C log book while planning to sell your car, there’s no need to worry. The process of getting a replacement from the DVLA is straightforward and typically takes only a few days.

Discover the significance of your V5C log book and the necessary steps to take when faced with its loss. Rest assured, getting a replacement is a manageable task.

What is a V5C log book?

The V5C log book, also known simply as the log book, serves as the official registration certificate provided by the DVLA to the registered keeper of a vehicle. This important document plays a key role in various aspects of car ownership.

Having your V5C log book on hand is crucial when it comes to insuring, selling, or scrapping your car. Additionally, it’s necessary for taxing your vehicle and determining its car tax band.

While the V5C confirms the registered keeper of the car, it’s important to note that it doesn’t serve as proof of ownership. Instead, it contains vital information about the vehicle itself, such as its make, model, age, registration number, colour, engine size, CO2 emissions, and details of any past owners.

The V5C log book is composed of tearaway sections that you’ll need to fill in and send to the DVLA under specific circumstances. For instance, if you decide to sell your car, you must provide the ‘new keeper’ details to inform the DVLA about the change of ownership.

Remember to keep your V5C logbook in a safe place at all times. It’s equally essential to keep the DVLA updated about any changes to your personal information or alterations made to your vehicle, such as a change in colour, fuel type, engine, or cylinder capacity.

By staying on top of these updates, you ensure that your vehicle’s registration and taxation status remain accurate and up-to-date.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Lost Your V5C Log Book? Here’s How to Get a Replacement.

Losing your V5C log book can be distressing, but fret not – there’s a straightforward solution. If your logbook has gone missing, got stolen, damaged, or destroyed, the DVLA allows you to get a replacement.

Apply online

The quickest and most convenient way to apply for a new V5C is through the DVLA website. The service typically incurs a fee of £25, and you can expect to receive your fresh log book within five working days.

To apply online, ensure you have the following details at hand:

  • Your vehicle registration number
  • The VIN/chassis number of your car
  • The name and postcode registered in your logbook.

Special Circumstances for Online Application: Keep in mind that if your personal information or car details have changed since losing your log book, or if the vehicle is part of the DVLA fleet scheme and not in your possession, you won’t be eligible for an online replacement. In such cases, don’t worry – you can still apply by post.

Apply by phone

For those without internet access, applying by phone is a viable alternative. Reach out to the DVLA at 0300 790 6802 during their operating hours –

  • Monday to Friday: 8 am to 7 pm
  • Saturdays: 8 am to 2 pm

Note: If you need to update your name, address, or vehicle details, the postal application will be necessary.

Apply by post

To go the classic route, download and fill out form V62 from the DVLA website. Once completed, enclose the form along with a cheque or postal order for £25, payable to ‘DVLA Swansea,’ and send it to the following address:

Related:  Alfa Romeo car insurance

SA99 1DD

Rest assured, regardless of the method you choose, the DVLA will ensure you receive your replacement V5C log book promptly.

Keep this valuable document in a safe place and promptly inform the DVLA of any future changes to your personal or vehicle information to keep your records up-to-date and accurate.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

How long does it take to get a replacement V5C?

When applying for a replacement V5C log book online or over the phone, the waiting time is quite reasonable – typically, up to five working days. Rest assured, you won’t be left hanging for long.

However, if two weeks have passed, and you still haven’t received it, consider reaching out to the DVLA for an update.

V5C Blue And Red

On the other hand, if you opt for the postal application route, it’s essential to exercise some patience. The process of getting your replacement V5C log book by post may take a bit longer, with an estimated waiting time of up to six weeks.

During this period, rest assured that the DVLA is processing your request, but it’s a good idea to allow ample time for the delivery.

Remember, if you have any concerns about the status of your replacement V5C, don’t hesitate to contact the DVLA for further assistance.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Buying a Car Without a V5C Log Book? Here’s What to Do.

The DVLA strongly advises against purchasing a car that doesn’t come with a V5C log book. One of the primary reasons for this caution is the possibility that the car could be stolen.

To safeguard your interests, it’s crucial to perform some checks before proceeding with the purchase.

Firstly, ensure that the log book contains a ‘DVL’ watermark. Additionally, check the serial number and make sure it doesn’t fall within the following ranges:

  • BG8229501 to BG9999030
  • BI2305501 to BI2800000

If you come across a serial number in these ranges or find no serial number at all, it’s essential to immediately contact the DVLA.

These red flags may indicate that the car has been stolen, and proceeding with the purchase could lead to legal complications.

However, if you believe that the seller has genuinely lost the log book, and you still decide to buy the car, there’s a process to get a new V5C from the DVLA.

Here’s what you’ll need to do:

  • Download form V62 from the DVLA website.
  • Send the completed form along with the green ‘new keeper‘ slip that you received when purchasing the car to the DVLA at the address mentioned earlier.
  • In this case, you won’t be charged any fee for the replacement application.

But what if you don’t have the green ‘new keeper’ slip? Don’t worry; you can still apply for a replacement, but a fee of £25 will be applicable. Be sure to provide an explanation on the form as to why you’re making the application without the ‘new keeper’ slip.

Remember, it’s in your best interest to have a valid V5C log book when buying a car, as it serves as an essential legal document for ownership and registration.

By following these guidelines and exercising caution, you can make a well-informed decision and enjoy a smooth ownership experience with your new vehicle.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

How to Update Details on Your V5C Log book?

Keeping your V5C log book information up-to-date is crucial, as failure to notify the DVLA of any changes could result in fines of up to £1,000.

To avoid any penalties and ensure accurate records, follow these steps to change details on your V5C log book:

Change Your Name

If you’ve recently undergone a name change, inform the DVLA by post. Complete section 6 on your V5C log book with your new name. Then, send the registration certificate to the following address:

SA99 1BA

Update Your Address

For address changes, you can conveniently use the DVLA’s online service. The online facility is available from 7 am to 8 pm, making it easy for you to keep your records current.

Related:  Car insurance FAQ's

Update Vehicle Details

If you’ve made any of the following changes to your vehicle, you must inform the DVLA promptly:

  • Colour
  • Engine
  • Cylinder capacity
  • Fuel type
  • Chassis or body shell
  • Seating capacity

To process these changes, fill in either section 1 (for the new style log book with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the cover) or section 7 (for the older style logbook).

For changes related to the engine number or cylinder, you’ll need to provide supporting evidence. This could include a receipt for a replacement engine, a letter from the manufacturer, or an inspection report.

Moreover, if there are any changes to the fuel or engine type due to conversion, the DVLA requires written confirmation on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work.

For changes related to fuel or engine type, send your documents to:

SA99 1DZ

For all other changes, send your V5C log book to:

SA99 1BA

By following these guidelines and promptly updating the DVLA with any necessary changes, you’ll ensure that your V5C log book remains accurate and compliant.

Keep your details current to avoid any potential fines and maintain a smooth ownership experience.

How much can you save on your car insurance?

Get a quote

Will I need to get a new V5C if I wrap my car?

Yes, you’ll need to get a new V5C log book if you’ve applied a vinyl wrap to your car, altering its colour, despite the change not being permanent. Updating your V5C is necessary to reflect this modification accurately.

How to tax a car without a log book?

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to tax your car, but you don’t have the log book (V5C) at hand, there are different approaches depending on your ownership status.

  • If You’re the Current Car Owner: If you are the current owner of the car and have previously taxed it, there’s a possibility to renew your tax and apply for a replacement V5C simultaneously. To do this, follow these steps:
    • Get a completed V62 application form, available on the DVLA website.
    • Visit your nearest Post Office and bring the completed V62 form along with a £25 fee.
    • The Post Office will assess your situation and inform you if you can proceed with taxing your vehicle without the logbook.
  • If You’re the New Owner of the Car: As the new owner of the car, you won’t be able to tax it without the “new keeper slip,” which is part of the V5C log book. To get this slip, you need to apply for a new V5C log book by post. Here’s what you should do:
    • Complete the V62 application form, available for download from the DVLA website.
    • Send the completed V62 form to the DVLA, as directed on the form. The process may take up to six weeks for your new V5C to arrive.

During this waiting period, you won’t be able to tax your vehicle without the logbook.

In such a case, you should consider making a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) to declare that your car is off the road and not in use.

This will ensure you comply with legal requirements during the interim.

Car insurance blog

Is My No-Claims Bonus Still Valid After a Break Between Policies?

Related:  Will a Non-Fault Accident affect my Car Insurance?

Compare Cheap Impounded Car Insurance Quotes

Related:  When is my car insurance due?

Driving Licence Codes and Categories

Related:  Group 3 car insurance

Car Insurance Credit Checks

Related:  Transfer Car Insurance

Dash Cams: Do they Reduce Car Insurance Premiums?

Related:  How to Stay Safe on Smart Motorways

What is a Car Insurance Cover Note?

Related:  Compare Cheap Named Driver Car Insurance Quotes

Classic Car MOT

Related:  Compare Cheap Impounded Car Insurance Quotes